Dear Families,

As you're aware by now, we're heading back to Nottawa to resume learning on Monday!  I recognize it was quite an adjustment for families to startup at Byng.  I sincerely appreciate you all for your care and understanding.  The staff would like to take this opportunity to thank ALL members of our school community - our amazing students and families for your continued patience, support, and resilience during this process.

We're really excited to be going back 'HOME!'  To help celebrate, we are encouraging all students and staff to wear their Nottawa Nighthawk SPIRIT WEAR (or navy blue, white, and grey colours) on MONDAY!  Let's all get decked out in head to toe displaying our school pride!  Gooo NIGHTHAWKS!



Holiday Spirit Day:

Thank you to all the staff and students who dressed up in holiday attire!  I even stepped it up a notch and ensured I did too ;) It was so great seeing the outfits and it really cheered up all our spirits as we say farewell to Byng which has been so GREAT TO US!!  


At the end of the day, some students shared their gratitude's and favourite experiences from being at Byng.  Kaylee shared, "I am thankful we got to be here (Byng) because it allowed us to learn in-class and not through a computer screen for distance learning.  We get to be with our friends and teacher(s) in person."  


I couldn't agree with you more!!  I'm ever so grateful to be with MY STUDENTS who bring me immense JOY each and everyday!!  Can't wait to continue our learning and growing in our portable at Nottawa come Monday morning!  

If your child is unsure as to where they are going, don't worry, I'll make myself visible and ensure ALL my students feel safe and comfortable :)  FYI, my portable's the one facing the field closest to the firehall.     

Holiday Joke Jam Contest:

Please see photograph below for a fun and friendly holiday contest.  All entries are due Dec. 13th!


Teacher Gift(s):
As the holidays approach, there may be families who are thinking of gifts to give to their child's teacher(s).  I want you to know that the greatest gift I have received is teaching your child in his or her grade 3 year.  I truly mean this!!  

With everything that we have had to face with the pandemic, move to Byng, and move back to Nottawa, everyone has showed a tremendous amount of resilience!  I am so proud to be a Nighthawk.  

I have a request please, in lieu of buying a gift for me this holiday season, please consider donating to SickKids (or another charity of your choosing).  It is a cause that is near and dear to my heart.  It is the season of giving and what better way than to help others in need :)  Thank you so much!


If you have already purchased a gift for me, please know I will graciously receive it and know how much it means to me.  Your acts of kindness are cherished!!

Math:
Earlier this week, I sent home a patterning review sheet in preparation for our unit assessment on Tuesday.  Please take some time over the weekend and have your child complete some of the suggested questions.  They may also wish to access their IXL account and refer to the patterning questions there too.  "Practice MAKES PROGRESS!"

Below, the students are in collaborative action as they complete some assigned tasks on 'Classifying and Identifying Quadrilaterals.'  I'm so proud of my students working cooperatively to help each other achieve their personal best!  




Types of Triangles & Types of Lines:
One of our "Brain Breakfast" questions this week focused on triangles and types of lines so I decided to teach the kids about these concepts.

Ask your child what he or she learned and if he or she can identify the various types of triangles and lines (parallel, intersecting, perpendicular) before sharing the photo and video below.


Writing:
Our writing this week brought sheer JOY TO MY HEART!  I am so proud of my students hard work and all the LOVE that went into their friendly letters for a Canadian Armed Forces Member and an elder at Sunset Manor.  Your child is truly demonstrating EMPATHY in his or her thoughts, words, and actions.  

I am so excited to be able to mail and deliver these next week!!










Noah:
In health, we've been learning all about Healthy Eating and ways to maintain healthy minds and bodies.  This week, we spent time learning all about the importance of having a well balanced breakfast to get our day's started.  


Thank you to Noah's Mom for sharing this photo.  Mmm, breakie looks delicious :-)   I love when my students consolidate their learning at home and actively use key concepts into their daily life!


Kaylee:
Thank you so much for making me this gift of ME using beads!  Aren't I cute?!  Aww, I love it and will cherish this gift Kaylee:)  Your acts of kindness are valued beyond measure!



Lilia & Kaylee:
Thank you so much to Lilia and Kaylee for bringing in 3 Peter Reynolds books for me to share with our class family!!  By now, you all know how much I adore this author :)  His messages are powerful and leave a lasting impression on our hearts and minds. 



Mindfulness:
Here is a short video about spreading kindness during these unprecedented times.  Thank you to Mrs. Johnson for sharing this video our morning announcements as well.   


Growth Mindset:
"If you want to feel good, you have to do good!" - Lily

Miigwetch,
Miss Gill

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hoppy Easter ;)

April Break 12 - 16th