Dear Families,
Wow, is it already March!?  Spring seems to be in the air with all this glorious sunshine we've been receiving - I love it!  


I'm sure by now you know exactly what I'll be up to ... that's right, hiking and exploring the amazing trails offered in our town!!  I hope you get an opportunity to as well!!  Have a lovely weekend with your child(ren)!

2021 International Women's Day:
Did you know international women's day is celebrated each year on March 8th?  It is an opportunity to observe women's success and part in cultural, political, social and economic development.  It is also acknowledged to make people aware of women's rights and gender equality.


In class, we have had many discussions about equality and how we need to strive to treat all people fairly.  No one should ever be discriminated based on their race, orientation, or gender.  

In our society, we have come a long way to gender equality, and I am proud to say that I get to cherish all my rights and freedoms as an Indo-Canadian woman.  I would like to thank all the women who came before me who stood up for gender equality.  Your contributions and efforts made a significant difference for women all around the world.

Earlier this week, I was asked by the director of education to participate in sharing a personal message to help empower young girls and women in our province.  I am truly honoured to do my part to help celebrate international women's day.  I have posted my video message below.


After I finished recording, I sat and reflected about all the incredible women in my students lives ...

Mrs. Rolling, Mrs. Chatterson, Mrs. Foss, Mrs. McKee, Mrs. MacLean, Mrs. Ottewell, Mrs. Munro, Mrs. Barr, Mrs. Jong Sook You, Mrs. Teeter, Mrs. Smith, Mrs. Speirs, Ms. Stevens, Ms. Berry, Ms. Gilbert, Ms. Fox, Mrs. DiFruscia, Mrs. Huys, Mrs. Proctor, and Mrs. Kennedy.

I respect and value you all as mothers who take each day to nurture your children and provide for your family.  As I teach your child this school year, I am realizing he or she is more and MORE like you - compassionate, caring, and loving!  Thank you for raising such amazing little humans and contributing to our community in your own special way(s)!!

I SEE YOU.  I HEAR YOU.  I STAND WITH YOU.  This.  Is.  Your. Moment.


On Monday, our class will take the time to celebrate International Women's Day and watch some of the other video messages by inspiring women in our province!!  We will think of our own ways that we can help empower others too.  

Character Recognition Award:
Last month's character trait was Inclusiveness.  We took a little time to recognize our 2 recipients.  I really miss not having Character Education Assemblies, but please know, we HONOUR YOU TWO!  Congratulations to Oscar and Lily for being inclusive with their peers and always looking for ways to make others feel welcome.  Continue to let your light shine!! 


March's Character Trait:
This month's character trait is INTEGRITY.  I've shared with my students that for me, this is one of the most valuable and vital traits we can possess because when a person displays integrity they can ALWAYS BE TRUSTED ... EVEN WHEN NO ONE IS WATCHING.  

Below is a short video to teach children the value of integrity.  


Ok boys and girls, let's put this trait into our THOUGHTS,  WORDS, and ACTIONS each and every day!  We can do it!!


Brain Breakfast:
Each day when the students arrive to school, they complete a set of 5 daily math questions aka Brain Breakfast.  These are very important because I am reinforcing learned and new math concepts.  

In class, I take time to consolidate and I provide explicit feedback that I would like students to write down to expand upon their knowledge and understanding so that when it comes home, they can discuss what they have learned in depth.

These sheets come home on the weekends for your child to show and share with you :)  Below, I have posted an example of what I'm looking for when answering these types of questions.  Click each image to enlarge it to have a closer look.    





Language:
This week, we learned about one of my personal heroes, the amazing Ruby Bridges!


Prior to listening to this story, please ask your child the following questions: 

1.  Who is Ruby Bridges?
2.  What did she do?
3.  How did Ruby make a difference?


My class was so interested in Ruby's story because it relates to them being students and how they thoughtfully empathized with how she was treated as a youngster.

After listening to the story, students completed a Venn diagram comparing the similarities and differences between themselves and Ruby.  As well, we wrote a personal message for the amazing civil rights activists who helped bring about great change so we can now live with equality.  These writing pieces will come home next week once we're done sharing them in class.  Stay tuned!!



Math:
This week, we learned all about measuring the perimeter and area of everyday items.  We worked in pairs and chose a school item to measure.  The kids had fun with this as many related it to their life.  Check out the photos below of us in perimeter and area action!






Your child's homework task over the weekend is to find a household item and measure the perimeter and area using P, N, W.  In your child's agenda, you will find a piece of paper that they can use to record their answers.  They should be familiar with what I'm looking for.  If not, there were examples sent home in the agenda as well.  Please refer to those.

Nottawa Spirit Days:
As a staff, we decided it would be a great idea to get our school united by showing our creative spirit!!  Below, I have listed the spirit days that we will be celebrating as a school family this month!  I'm giving these ahead of time to help you prepare as a family.  Please jot these down into your calendars and have fun with this boys and girls.  

It's always a great feeling being united as a school family :-)  I can't wait for next week's jersey day already!!  

Wed. Mar. 10th - Sports Jersey Day


Wed. Mar. 17th - Green/St. Patrick's Day


Wed. Mar. 25th - Camo Day


Wed. Mar. 31st - Cowboy/Cowgirl Day


Mindfulness:
Below, I have posted a short film about Gratitude by Louis Shwartzberg. His message: to open our hearts and feel grateful for this day, the beauty of this planet, and the people we meet! I feel this is important now more than ever as we continue to face the impacts of Covid-19.
So, how do we do this despite feeling like this pandemic is never ending? It takes effort, but by focusing on the positive aspects rather than the negative. By showing who other people are, in all their individual special-ness rather than focusing on lecturing and "finger-wagging" to "not judge others" is the way to open people's hearts organically and show our humanity to the people of different beliefs, capabilities, colours, ethnicities, and religions that walk on this earth, with us.

The more we see the real person, the less likely we will objectify them as a "category" or as a "group" to hate. Watching this amazing little movie, I believe you will feel a bit more love in your heart, and love life a little more. If you ever feel sad, anxious, or are finding it difficult to feel positive - which is all of us at some moments - this little movie will heal your heart just a little bit!
I hope you enjoy this 6 minute video as much as I did :)


Growth Mindset:
Thank you Payton for sharing Maya Angelou's powerful thoughts and words.  This quote is valuable so always remember to use kindness in your daily actions boys and girls.  Help others feel loved, empowered, and accepted.


Ubuntu,
Miss Gill

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hoppy Easter ;)

April Break 12 - 16th