Dear Families,

Is it really the last week of March?!  I hope you enjoyed the warmer temps and sunshine we had earlier this week!  It's definitely welcomed and has put a smile on all the children's faces as they run, jump, and PLAY :)  

Thank you to all the staff and students who dressed up for CAMO DAY on Wednesday.  It was so great seeing all the different attire everyone was wearing.  The spirit days this month have been wonderful and gotten us all feeling connected as a school family :)


Some of the teachers and I even got into the spirit after school, we went for a walk around Nottawa and got this FUN photo taken.  Can you find me?!  ;)

I know the weather isn't so sunny and bright right now (Friday was quite grey and rainy), but I still hope you're able to enjoy some outdoor activity and have a lovely weekend as a family!  PS:  I hope we don't get 'fooled' next week (Thursday) ;)

Character Recognition:

March's character trait is Integrity - “We can always be trusted even when NO ONE IS WATCHING!”  I have shared with my students how I feel this trait encompasses all our character traits that we have focused on thus far.  

I believe if a person demonstrates integrity, they also possess respect, caring, cooperation, inclusiveness, empathy, and responsibility.  I am comforted in knowing that WE at Nottawa are truly surrounded with many students who consistently model integrity.

Congratulations to Lilia and Kaylee!  You are being recognized for ALWAYS displaying Integrity in your thoughts, words, and actions.  I am so very proud of you!  Continue to be your best self in all that you do!  You are both exemplary models for this trait :)

World Down Syndrome Day:

Did you know it was World Down Syndrome Day on Sun. Mar. 21st?  I taught the students about this and we took some time to understand this genetic disorder.

It is important to continue celebrating our uniqueness and recognizing that we're wonderful JUST THE WAY WE ARE. Each one of us has been given life and we must celebrate our differences and embrace them because it is what makes you, YOU!! 

In class, I read aloud a story called My Friend Has Down Syndrome.  It helped give us a greater understanding about this genetic disorder.  We learned that people with down syndrome may have an extra 'gene', but they're just like US!  

Yes, people with down syndrome may look, act, or learn a little differently than others, but they are HUMAN with amazing thoughts, skills, and abilities.  We can learn and grow from them!

So, the next time you see someone with down syndrome, remember to share your compassion and understanding ...it would mean the world to them just like it would to you!!   

Math:
This week, we completed two specific math tasks (see below) with a focus on problem solving using the 4 Block Method.  Students were given an opportunity to work in their THINK, PAIR, SHARE duos for the Popsicle Frames task and then I had them complete an Algebra & Measurement word problem independently to see how well they've consolidated their learning.  The latter math task will come home next week for you to see.



Check out the boys and girls in math action below!  I'm always so proud of my students cooperative and collaborative ways.  As parents, I am sure you're curious from time to time wondering what your child is like during these situations.  Well, I can assure you, you'd be so, SO PROUD like me!!  





Thank you to families who supported his or her child with the Popsicle Frames question that came home ealier in the week.  It is appreciated and helped us during our consolidation the next day.  

Building Math Fluency:

As you know, we've been working a lot on our multiplication and division skills.  I'm really encouraging my students to practice their facts because once these become 'automatic,' it'll be very beneficial as they get into junior and intermediate grades when they experience more challenging math tasks.  

As a youngster, my maternal grandfather used to always 'drill' me with my math facts until I knew them like the back of my hand ;)  At the time, I didn't always welcome it, but boy am I grateful for that as it served me well in all my elementary and high school math.  

I encourage you to please spend some time with your child to practice fast facts for addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.  Try out these games below :-)

https://toytheater.com/category/math-games/third-grade-math-games/

Art:

I hope you enjoyed the art that came home this week with your child!  Several students were so excited to show you this.  I am amazed at their creativity, imagination, and vision as they create brilliant works of art. 

Speaking of which, we worked on another art project this week.  As shared in last week's post, we learned all about and were inspired by the amazing Indigenous artist Norval Morrisseau.  Thank you to families who provided a sharpie for us to use, it came in handy and we appreciate it.  

Our completed Thunderbird's are now on display in the hallway for other Nighthawks to admire!  We're so proud of our creations.  Aren't they gorgeous!?  I love them ALL :-)





Lily:

Lily sensed my enthusiasm and love for Indigenous art that she spent a lot of time last weekend to create me this (see below) for my birthday.  It brought me tears of JOY!! 

Thank you so much Lily for making me this magnificent Norval Morrisseau inspired art piece.  Your time, efforts and love that went into this are something I'll always cherish and remember. 

Clara:

Thank you Clara for gifting our classroom with this wonderful message which I believe was inspired by our discussions on International Women's Day :-)  Yes, women (and men) are change makers!  I am so happy that we live in a world where women are recognized, valued, and admired for their amazing contributions.  

You Clara are a wonderful little girl; KEEP BELIEVEING IN ALL YOUR HOPES AND DREAMS.  I am grateful to learn and grow with you!

Mindfulness:

"DIS the DISABILITY and focus on the ABILITY."  Here is a video about a young teen named Alexander who is 16 years old with Down Syndrome.  Listen to his incredible journey so far ... and this, is just the beginning :-)  

My thoughts and wishes go out to this amazing person.  May you always believe in yourself and remember that YOU ARE MAGNIFICANT JUST THE WAY YOU ARE!

Growth Mindset:

I saw Lily wearing this t-shirt and it brought a massive smile to my face!!  Isn't this just IT?  Be a nice human.  THIS IS THE KEY TO THE WORLD'S PROBLEMS.  

Thank you lovely Lily for continuously displaying being a nice human in your thoughts, words, and actions.  You inspire me daily!!

With love, grace, and gratitude,

Miss Gill

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hoppy Easter ;)

Distance Learning Jan. 11-15th